I have been kind of obsessed with this kitchen thing lately. I’ve checked out kitchen remodel books from the library, looked things up online, stood in my kitchen and pondered, moved the furniture around in the nook. I’ve had a few epiphanies:
- Without a serious remodel and re-wiring and re-plumbing of the entire kitchen, I am never going to be able to cook without my back to others. So be it. I have neither the money nor the inclination to spend the money on a huge remodel of that sort.
- The rolling cart I have been trying to use as an island isn’t going to work. It’s too big for the space, as much as I like its looks and the extra storage it gives.
- The kitchen has only one sizable stretch of counter space (from the sink, over the dishwasher, to the right; that’s not my kitchen, above, but it seems to have the exact same layout). It’s not a huge length of countertop, by any stretch of the imagination, but it is long and straight. It needs to a) be kept clear, and b) be well lit. Up until now, it has been neither of those things. Tonight I cleared it completely, but it will take a trip to IKEA or somewhere to get under counter lighting.
- The nook area has a desk and a cupboard above it that are pretty useless. The nook is not large enough to have a table and chairs and also to have a chair at the desk. If the desk can’t be used as a desk, why is it there? That space could be put to much better use.
- The kitchen doesn’t have a lot of cupboard space. By using the desk space better, something could be done to make that space better kitchen storage.
So… what am I going to do with all this newfound information? Try to make storage and cooking and meal planning more pleasant for myself, so that I will actually do them. Stay tuned for more on this kitchen project in the near future.
- I’m grateful! for a very interesting presentation at church today (an interfaith dialogue with Catholic, Jewish and Muslim perspectives on Rules and Religion) and for the chance to get to visit with people after Mass while we folded handouts for the new liturgical language that goes into effect next week.
- I’m lighter! by a total of 11 Bitty Baby outfits and 3 Ello sets (all of which sold by today) and our pockets are heavier by more than $350! I also cleaned the kitchen, cooked dinner, played a game with D & Q & Mariah, and input a bunch of stuff into Quicken which was long overdue.