I found a list of 99 things, and I will be bolding the ones I’ve done and explaining a bit about each. Because I have a tendency to yammer on, I am doing 5 of the 99 at a time. (Again, if anyone reading was involved in any of these, feel free to add facts or correct my memory… and I’ll keep looking for photos.)
#1 through #5 are here.
#6 through #10 are here.
#11 through #15 are here.
#16 through #20 are here.
21. Had a pillow fight – I should probably bold this one. I have swacked quite a few people with pillows in my day, and they have hit me right back. In fact, when I was in 6th grade, my brother and our neighbor Paul were having a pillow fight with couch cushions and I found myself in the line of fire. I was sitting on the couch reading (no surprise) and drinking a glass of milk, which I was holding between my knees. See where this is going? The glass was hit with a home-run swing and shattered, laying my right knee open so deeply that it didn’t hurt or even bleed. (The nerves in my lower leg were never right after that – if you press on the scar, it sends electric shocks down my calf. Creepy.) So why do I not claim to have had a pillow fight? Well, in my mind, a true pillow fight is a large-scale extravaganza, such as the Saturday-night pillow fights in Little Men… perhaps with an exploding pillow and a room full of feathers.
22. Hitchhiked – Even Quinland knows I am guilty of hitchhiking in days of yore, back when either things were safer or we were all more naive. When I studied in Ireland, we hitched into the nearest town from our tiny village on the coast of Donegal (often in the carts of the farmers’ tractors). Doesn’t that sound romantic? But there was a less-romantic time or two. The time we were too cheap to pay for bus fare back to Galway. The time we were drowning in a downpour outside of Munich and hitched a ride to the youth hostel. The time when… That’s probably enough for now. I don’t want any young people getting any ideas.
23. Taken a sick day when you’re not ill – Not recently! But that’s because I am actually ill so often these days. Prior to my health weirdness, I admit I took a mental health day now and then.
24. Built a snow fort – I have always wanted to do this, but somehow I never have. We should have tried this when we lived on the Chiemsee in Germany, since that’s the only truly snowy place I’ve ever spent much time. To be honest, it seems like just the kind of thing you’d think people would have done there, since we had all kinds of free time and people managed to get up to all kinds of shenanigans, especially after a few hours in the Windjammer Bar.
25. Held a lamb – No, sadly. Hanging out with sheep in Wales was about the most time I’ve ever spent with sheep on any occasion.
Score so far: 14 out of 25. I need to pull this up!