a slow start to the summer


Ladies and Gentlemen! I am thrilled to announce that it is officially summer for Lori.

I’m looking forward to summer this year. I have made a momentous decision to cut back my work hours to three days per week instead of five, a change which has just gone into effect this week. Theoretically, this will give me more time to take care of my health, more time to fit in medical appointments, and – hopefully – a lot less stress. It’s kind of crazy to think about cutting back on our income, because we’ve gotten used to a certain amount coming in per month, but we are nothing if not thrifty, so now we’ll just have to rise to the occasion. We’ve got two good jobs and nothing to complain about! I know when to count my blessings.

I must say, though, that the thrill of having the time off work has not yet kicked in. I blame prednisone, the steroid monster of doom. I worked Wednesday, took my meds on Wednesday night / Thursday morning, and have felt pretty icky for the past three days. There was the jittery badness of Thursday, the night without sleep (hooray, sunrise!), the zombieness of Friday from lack of sleep, and the endless crankiness of having to get out of bed for pretty much any reason. Walk the dog? No way. Feed the cats? No. Get some toast? Oh, please. Fine. Toast. Whatever. I am famished; I just don’t want to move.

By Friday evening (after trying to sleep for ages, trying to accomplish something more than just basic locomotion, and biting Quinland’s head off mid-afternoon for suggesting I actually run an errand with her), I felt somewhat better. I took Q on the errand (to get her signed up to use the athletic facilities at my alma mater). We had a lovely stroll around campus. We went to drink lambic and eat homemade pizza with our friends. We played some games. All was well with the world.

Then I woke up this morning. Argh. Prednisone has a nasty backlash of fluid retention, at least at the dose I take. (I take 1200 mg one day a month. That is about equal to a month’s worth of high daily doses, taken all at once.) I end up with what I call a layer of bone and muscle, a layer of pain, and then a layer of skin. Every square inch is sore, as every tissue is filled with fluid. Luckily, it doesn’t stay that way. I usually gain 5-10 pounds from the prednisone each month – and then I pee it all away over the course of a day or two. But in the meantime… ouch.

I spent the bulk of the day today in bed, trying not to move my head or shoulders much, since they usually hurt the worst. I read a favorite Jane Austen fan fiction story, plugged my phone into my laptop and downloaded about 700 photos, and tried to pacify the meowing cats and the barking dog without having to get up. (Bones was riled up because Q was playing basketball outside. He thinks it is the height of injustice for her to have a BALL and get to GO OUTSIDE and PLAY and not invite him.)

This is all just a long way of saying that Summer Starts Tomorrow. I should be lighter in weight and in spirit, and ready to be productive and have some fun with my family.

Image by selfnoise via Flickr – Thank you!

Let's talk! Comments are always welcome!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.